Monday 9 October 2017

The forge marches to war!

Today is an army showcase of my mechanicum. Like a servitor I have been slaving away over the last couple of months to get these guys done, firstly for events at warhammer world both earlier in the year (January) and one at the end of June, and secondly finishing all my owned mechanicum models (well nearly, see the bottom of the post). So read on to see the glory of the mechanicum ready to wage war, possibly for the emperor.....
All the mechanicum unit that I own


Starting out

So this army (as with most of my recent armies...) have started out as some kind of side project to the space wolves (so far that's Mechanicum, Talons of the Emperor and Blood Ravens). Although I had amassed probably near 24 thallax and some other bits and pieces over the last year and a half I didn't really start working on these guys properly till the December 2016 in preparation for the heresy doubles up at warhammer world in late January (2017). I can't quite remember what I had painted at that point but it was definitely not much more than 1500pts all told.

The models I took to the doubles event. The Domitar wasn't in the 1000pt list and wasn't used all weekend

Background

So after finishing off the army for the doubles event I decided that I wanted to have a larger force and as Tom and I had decided we were going to a campaign weekend I thought it was the perfect excuse to expand he the force to a full sized army. Now I wanted to, and have, gone down the Ordo Reductor route for the force. This meant lots of thallax, tanks and myrmidons. Although the final force has two automata I specifically have avoid all the robots in the force, which is fairly rare for a mechanicum army. Colour scheme wise they are based on the one of the golden deamon winners from a couple of years back. I have the idea in my head that although these are some kind of black shields esque force. Although Loyal to the imperium they are also fighting for themselves, a little bit like other black shield and shattered legions forces of the time.

The cybernetica part of the army

 Playing with the army

My 3k list
So playing with these guys are interesting. Although mechanicum are fairly tough this particular force doesn't have all the benefits of the high strength and toughness robots it is a fairly durable force but suffers a lot if someone brings a lot of missiles and and ap3/2 weapons the force falls apart. The thallax make the force really mobile and back up by the fact that the tanks also are fast gives me a large ability to move around the field getting the angles that I need. The anchor of the force is the large block of myrmidon destructors and the magos that accompanies them. These guys put out a considerable amount of hurt at long range and even more hurt at short range thanks to the two irradiation engines in the squad. When needed I can also roll out the knigh atrapos. I've had fun with it but it isn't the most enjoyable part of the army to use, although it does act as a hand fire magnet in the first couple of turns whilst the rest of the army takes apart the opponents force.

The tanks of the army

 What next?

My HQ and his second in command with his myrmidon body guard
 So where do I see the force going next? Well I'd like to add some of the larger tanks to the force, I feel like I want at least one, if not two triaros armoured conveyer and a Karacnos artillary tank to go with the back line. I also fancy at least one macroarid explorator in the army either to carry some myrmidon secutors (another unit that needs adding to the force) or some of the skitarii units that the 30k mechanicum have access to. I don't really want to add more cybernetica to the army as I don't feel it really goes with the back ground of the army that I have written up.

24 Thallax, two 3 man melta units, a 6 man ferrox unit and 6 man phased plasma unit

So what do you guys think. What is your favourtie mechanicum unit and what do you think I should add to the army going forward? Hope you enjoyed the photos and hopefully there will be some more in the future.

Philip

No comments:

Post a Comment