Monday 8 January 2018

New Year, New Army

So as it's a new year and my local gaming group decided we should do an escalation league in the new year. I've also decided that I'd like to learn how to use an airbrush. So I'ce decided to combine these two together. And what better way to combine these but to paint white, that most difficult of colours and start a white scars army.

Colour Scheme

So having joined a couple of groups on facebook I have come up with some ideas for colours to use and went ahead and bought the basic colours. I'm planning on playing with the white in a little bit more but I'm pretty happy with how it is at the moment. Just a little bit of tweaking to make the shadows a little deeper. The reds and whites can be creditted to Mike Fellhand on facebook.

The core colours for the white scars
I've also streched out and asked some people for some basing ideas. I think I'm probably going to go with some cork board (again something I haven't used before) in a sort of desert esque style with light browns and scrub, maybe some flowers, to bring out a little bit of contrast. It'll aslo hopefully like nice with a little bit of that style of dusting along the bottoms of the vehicles and bikes.

The test colours on a spare bit of rhino
The same colours on a larger panel. I've done a little bit of chipping as well to get some ides, looks really nice on the red but needs a little more work on the white.

The Army List

So how what do I want to do. Well bikes will feature prominently in the army (of both varieties) but I don't just want to have bikes as some of the stories feature more traditional legion assualts. So I also want to include some squads in rhinos, some flyers and even some terminators as I think they'll look awesome in white scars colours. So below is the 1000pts army list that I plan on making in the next couple of months. Hopefully this army will be legal in most events so I might be able to take it too an event before I finish the 2k. The other reason that I'd like the have more foot sloggers is so that I can take the army to infantry games and more particularly zone mortalis games where bikes are more difficult to squeeze in. Here's the list:

HQ
Delegatus on jetbike with the trimmings

Troops
5x Outriders with boltguns and the trimmings
5x Outriders with boltguns and the trimmings
3x Outriders with plasma guns

Elites
8 Veterans in a Rhino with machine killers and trimmings

Fast Attack
Javelin Landspeeder stock with hunter killer missiles

Hopefully the above list will allow me to take on most lists at 1000pts as well as having the units to move around the board to take objectives and give me board presence that I think I could very easily loose when designing a white scares army as the lower numbers makes the army more suceptible to being picked apart.

I'm not currently sure where 1000pts following it will go but I want a second squad of veterans in the army, a xiphon interceptor, potentially a sicaran venator, a jetbike command squad and some terminators in either a dreadclaw or landraider. But that is the future at the moment so we will see how that goes and if I manage to get that far first...

If anybody has any tips or tricks in painting or weathering white please let me know as I'd much appreciate it as well as any feedback on what to bring to the table.

Philip

2 comments:

  1. Looking forward to seeing your progress. SW and WS are 2 of my favourite Legions/Chapters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks man, you've come to the write place if you like both. Once I've nailed the white I'll be getting started again on the Scars, and you'll see more progress hopefully

      Delete