Thursday 30 April 2015

Cataphractii Terminators

"The building collapsed, crashing down on top of them, yet as the dust cleared shadows emerged from the building. Nothing would stop their advance"
 
 
So another quick update. My first chataphractii terminator squad is complete (ok I missed the dags on the shoulders but I didn't realise that till after I had sorted the photos out). Painted in the same way as the rest of my infantry (the GW paint scheme) although I tried an experiment on the power weapons which I'll discuss below. All the large wolf pelts on their pauldrons are hand sculpted out of green stuff for that extra space wolf feel. 
 
The squad has a mix of weapons but tend to get close and personal in their land raider and have done fairly well in games so far. The 4+ invulnerable save makes them that much durable, although only being toughness four with 1 wound still has it's draw backs. I'm looking to add and eight or nine man squad and a primus medicae so that I can run a pride of the legion list.


So I attempted a new technique on the power weapons for this squad and I'm quite pleased with the results. I have no idea what the technique is called but I have seen it else where so I thought I'd give it a go. A couple of things I have learnt:
  1. I need a little more patience, the edging (especially on the power sword ) is a little wobbly, so just need to spend a little more time on that.
  2. Don't try and do this in poor light, it's really difficult to see the distinctions in shade if you are using lots of layers.
  3. Keep the paint thin, for two reasons. Firstly the normal it looks really thick if you're not careful and secondly the blending between the shades look much better.
So without further ado here are some close ups. Let me know what you guys think below.


Any way that's all for today folks, tune in next week for some more hobby goodness, and I think the sons of Mortarian may be showing their faces...

Philip

No comments:

Post a Comment